Pages

Saturday, April 13, 2013

Loving Right Now . . . Nail Art !

Hi everyone!

I wanted to share with you today something that I've been loving to do lately.

From time to time, I would enjoy trying out different nail colors.  At the moment, I'm into spring-y and summer-y colors.  Painting my nails a single color, however, seemed a bit boring.  So I started painting lines and flowers on them, and I loved the effect.  Here's my first attempt:



Middle finger nail art added.


I am by no means an artist, nor do I have the patience to do all my nails.  (Not to mention how difficult it is for me to draw using my left, non-dominant, hand.)  I also quite like the effect of just drawing on a few accent nails at a time, particularly my ring and index fingers.  The thumb is also fair game since there's so much room on it to draw.  LOL

I could also go to a nail salon and get my nails professionally painted, but where's the fun in that!

This is what I did next.  I do love this color combination.  A little late for Easter but still spring-y.

Left Hand


Right Hand
Flower on ring finger and Stripes on the index.














Same flower on ring finger. Dots on index finger.















And then, I had a lightbulb moment!

I didn't have black nail polish, but I wanted to do a little outlining on the flowers and lines.  And, what best to use to draw those lines on but with a black Sharpie.  (Crazy, I know.)  I was skeptical at first.  I didn't know if they would just rub off (they didn't).  So I put a layer of top coat over them.  They did smear just a tiny bit.  But, they stayed on without smearing even after a shower! And here's the result.

Left hand.  More flowers added to thumb.

Same hand, different angle.

Right hand.

Although I did say I prefer just accent nails, I'm not opposed to a few polka dots.  A craft embossing tool came in handy in creating perfect dots.  (I tell you, I just couldn't stop, LOL.)

White polka dots on pinky and middle fingers.

But the minimalist in me found it too busy so I started over on some nails, and went back to basics.  Here's how it turned out.

Less busy but still colorful.

And then I got to Googling and found Rina who's a fellow Filipino!  Her website, Simply Rins, is chock-full of wonderful creations.  Watch her tutorials and be amazed!  She has elevated nail design to a true art form!

My next attempt was inspired by her Mickey nail design.  I love anything Mickey Mouse related, so I knew I had to do something like this.

The Inspiration

Right Hand (Minnie)

Left Hand (Mickey)

My nail polish stash was very limited, mostly pastels, and I made a run to the store to get more colors.  I haven't worn red or black nail polish in decades and I was pleasantly surprised at how much I liked these two colors on my nails.

I know I cannot even begin to rival what she's doing.  But I'm enjoying having 'interesting' nails at the moment.

After writing this post, I realized that I have a need to do something creative.  Whether it be decorating my house, crafting, or make-up (I consider that an art form, that's my excuse!).  Nail art is just one more avenue for me to create something.

Only time will tell if I will ever invest in nail brushes and acrylic paint for detail work.  I guess it'll depend on how far I want to go with this.  For now, I'll just keep playing with what I have.

I'm already planning out my next color combination though. (:

Thanks for visiting!


No comments:

Post a Comment