Pages

Saturday, September 21, 2013

Midori Traveler's Notebook

Hi everyone!

I waited a couple of weeks to review this for you so I can give a fairly accurate assessment.  I moved into it immediately after it came in the post, which was a much longer wait than I expected.  The anticipation was killing me because I knew what I was going to use it for and I was already gearing up for it in my head.  In short, it was going to be my wallet, calendar, mini office and (maybe) journal.  In essence, it was going to take over the duties that the Baroque performed.

I must say, it does that job pretty well!  Here it is!


And a shot from the side.

Hardy enough to hold 3 pens!


It's fairly big, much bigger than a Personal sized Filo.  But it's one of the things going for it.

Here's how it's arranged at the moment, from front to back.

At the very front, a homemade plastic flyleaf to protect the Kraft file folder behind it.  The Paris theme was done with stickers. I stuck 2 of the pocket-sized stickers to the front cover for business cards, my phone's SD card, and loose pieces of paper.

Plastic flyleaf

Next is the Kraft folder.  Between it is another flyleaf for Post-its.  It contains more loose pieces of paper, extra note tabs, a ruler and an alphabet template, and extra paper clips.

Kraft folder with flyleaf for Post-its

Full spread of the homemade flyleaf for Post-its

Back of the file folder.

This is followed by the Diary.  I made my own for the remainder of 2013 using the blank notebook the Midori came with.  I followed the Week + Notes format.  Using stamps, I marked the months and days of the week and handwrote the dates.

Blank notebook refill used as 2013 Diary
The current week

An empty page in October.  Still using the Muji stamp as a checklist.

The Diary is followed by the lightweight paper refill I use as a journal.  Since getting the Midori, I've started to write more.  The paper is wonderful.  And because it's fountain pen friendly, I get to enjoy my fountain pens everyday.

Front cover of lightweight paper refill


Fountain pen friendly paper!

The last notebook is the grid refill I use for GTD.  It basically contains lots and lots of lists (I love alliterations!).

Tabs at top to help find things easily

Alphabet rub-ons on front page

And lastly, the wallet portion.  Nothing exciting . . . just the zipper pocket and business card refills. Honestly, this is what makes the MTN a chunky monkey, and I can remove this part of it if I want to carry around a separate wallet.  But for now, it's there.

Zipped refill can hold both coin and paper currency

It's big enough to hold a smaller calculator.
Bigger sticker pocket in inside back cover.

After using it for a while, I have to say - I LOVE IT!

It takes a little getting used to, after being in a Filofax forever, but I've done some tweaks and customizing to make it work for me.  I'll write about those in future posts because this one is already too long.  I'll also write about what I love and don't love about it.  And how it compares to a Filofax.

Till then, thanks for visiting!


3 comments:

  1. Doris, thank you so much for this great show around your Midori! I've been using mine as a journal for 4 months now and love it and I know how tempting it is to turn it into the one and only planner/journal/and other stuff storage! :)
    Can't wait for your Midori part II! :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Vanja, it's so good to hear from you after it seems such a long time! It's great to hear you too are using a Midori. Isn't it a lovely notebook? (: And you're right about wanting to use it for everything. Keep in touch and regards.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Vanja, it's so good to hear from you after it seems such a long time! It's great to hear you too are using a Midori. Isn't it a lovely notebook? (: And you're right about wanting to use it for everything. Keep in touch and regards.

    ReplyDelete